Saturday, July 21, 2012

Fort Nelson Redux

Saturday in Fort Nelson

Some days are driving days, some are not. Today was NOT a driving day. I must have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed – which meant I smacked into the cabinets or rolled over into the knitting basket.  Something.  The plan was to drive, drive, drive to Laird Hot Springs and camp there.  As you can tell, that didn’t happen.

I was crabby, out of sorts, hungry, low blood sugar, achy back.  Oh, and wind. You name it, I have an excuse for being here.  Mrs. Tom Tom lost her electronic mind and sent me back to Chetwynd.  Swearing and flipping her off didn’t even faze her, and it didn’t make me feel much better either.  When I finally got headed in the right direction I was all befuddled, and it went downhill (not literally – the rest of this trip will be uphill) from there.

So, we got from Chetwynd to Dawson Creek, back towards Chetwynd, and finally headed in the right direction. The road was OK, but the big trucks here are driven by the same kinds of people who drive big trucks everywhere – no matter how fast I’m going, they want to be in FRONT of me.  From my perspective, it looks like they are going to devour the T@B, their giant grills looming in my rear view mirror.  Scary.  Yet another reason to want to get off the road.

The uphills and downhills are ferocious on this part of the road.  Third gear ferocious going up and 4th going down.  I have six gears to choose from, so it’s all good.

We drove through a spectacular thunderstorm.  The black sky, the lightning, and rain so hard the fast wipers couldn’t keep up with it.  Then we came out the other side!  By then I had decided I was tired of driving for the day, so Fort Nelson became the destination. I thought there was a Provincial campground here.  Nope.

This will do. I like the electricity because I can run the fan.  I hear it’s raining in Anchor Point – I’ll definitely enjoy that for a while. 

OK.  I’m all done being crabby. It’s cooling off. The margarita-in-a-pouch is having a mellowing effect.


No comments:

Post a Comment