Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Where Is That Campground?

Sunday, July 22, 2012

It’s easy to lose track of time out here. 

Today was a good driving day.  Dusty but good. First there was about 15 miles of gravel outside of Fort Nelson then the trip to the campground was gravel.  The dang vent vibrates loose on the top of the trailer, so it was full of dust when we stopped for the evening. 

On the way here, we drove past the entrance to this campground because it was a long way to the campground, but I didn’t want to stay in a commercial campground tonight no matter how smelly and sweaty I am! This is not the Watson Lake campground Jesse and I stayed at 22 years ago, but it is quite nice. 

All day today, I kept looking for vestiges of the old road and the old, old road.  There are places where the road has to be where it’s always been, like along Muncho Lake.  But in some places, the older road slides in and out under the new one.  I think of my folks driving all the way from Montana to Alaska with all six of us and a dog—no GPS, few amenities, and scarce gas stations.  It must have been a fingernail-chewing experience at times.

Canada is still hot.  And still mosquito-ey.  I should buy stock in the OFF company as I us so much of it. Eau de OFF. 

No comments:

Post a Comment